Why Do Most People Avoid The Dentist? Find Out Now!
It is common knowledge that if you want to enhance your oral health, you MUST honor those routine dental visits! Surprisingly though, a significant number of people are terrified about the prospect of visiting a dental office!
Whether it’s a past distressing experience or the fear of receiving unwelcoming news regarding your dental that’s preventing you from scheduling an appointment with your local dentist, don’t fret! Many American citizens have been proven to skip their visits to the dentist. Statistically, nearly 65% of people go to the dentist. However, in some places, that figure is relatively low, dropping to 51.9% in the state of Mississippi!
Your failure to regularly visit the dentist can be highly dangerous, bearing in mind that routine dental appointments form a crucial part of overall oral health. After all, your teeth perform the daunting task of breaking down food on a daily basis, so routine dental visits offer a great chance to gauge whether they are in optimal condition or not. If issues are identified early enough, the solutions can be not only easy and quick but affordable as well. On the other hand, a cavity left untreated can result in a toothache, warranting fairly costly and vast treatments!
So, why do people dread the dentist?
There are a plethora of reasons why people often skip those important routine dental visits, including:
- Affordability: This is arguably the most common reason why many people don’t go for regular oral exams. According to a particular recent study, at least 44% of people are currently not honoring their dental appointments because they lack dental insurance. However, the reality is that if you take great care of your pearly whites and mouth in general, your annual oral appointments won’t be expensive. And incorporating easy yet effective oral hygiene practices such as regularly flossing and rinsing using a therapeutic mouthwash such as Listerine can help you maintain healthy teeth and mouth.
- Fear of having to undergo dental work: Generally, not many people would be happy about the prospect of being told they have significant dental problems! Both denial and avoidance are highly powerful human emotions, which can potentially bar people from honoring their dental appointments.
- Fear of dental instruments: Believe it or not, research has proven that some people don’t visit the dentist because they fear the treatment might be very painful or involve scary dental operations with frightening dental equipment. Thankfully, this is not the case nowadays due to the advancements in the medical world. There are significant advances in the dental sector, such as laser dentistry. Simply put, today’s dental treatments are highly advanced, so patients won’t experience either pain or discomfort.
- Increased dental apprehension: Most people are simply afraid of the dentist’s office. Fortunately, there are numerous things you can do to conquer your fears! A proven way to make the entire experience a positive one is to have a genuine conversation with your dentist regarding your worries. After all, communication is the ultimate way to create a positive dental experience! You may also consider listening to some sweet music to help create a conducive environment that is comfortable and soothing.
- No one appreciates those lectures! Nobody would be willing to be told how to take care of their teeth. And if you are an individual who doesn’t always brush and floss more regularly, you might skip your dental visits because of fear of getting reprimanded. Generally, most people don’t want to be told what they ought to be doing about their poor dental hygiene or health, and this is reason enough to keep them further away from the dentist’s office.
- Laziness! In today’s tough economic times coupled with our busy lifestyles, very few people are willing to create some time for dental appointments. Naturally, humans are creatures of habit. And if you fail to incorporate it into your routine, it will eventually become one of those things that you have to struggle to do. And once you skip a few visits, it automatically gets out of your routine. And perhaps this is the major reason why progressive dentists work extra hard to remind people about their impending appointments. It helps tackle such laziness problems.
- Awful memories: As a kid, you may have had a distressful experience that sticks in your mind no matter what, and it’s perfectly reasonable to believe dental procedures are very painful, even though they aren’t! Today’s dental procedures are not only highly advanced and very safe, but many dental professionals now offer music, TVs, and other forms of entertainment to help you feel comfortable while erasing those unforgettable memories!
As already mentioned, there is no better way to tackle whatever is preventing you from visiting your dentist than to discuss them with your dental expert. By voicing out your concerns to him, he will be better equipped to build your confidence and steer you toward a healthy dental routine!
If you are looking for a dentist, HPS Advanced Dental Care would love to see you. Dr. Heather is gladly accepting new patients.
We are located at 4741 24 Mile Rd. Shelby Township, MI 48316, and we can be reached at (248) 652-0024. We look forward to meeting you!