Sure, it’s the holiday season and we’re all busy, but that doesn’t mean you should be neglecting your dental health. If you or your family haven’t been in for a cleaning and check-up in a while, this is a great time of year to make an appointment for a check-up. If you think you don’t need to visit HPS Advanced Dental for a cleaning, here are 10 easy signs that it’s time to make an appointment!
- You Have Bad Breath. Bad breath can be a telling sign of a variety of dental health and overall health issues. If you notice that even after you brush, you still have bad breath, this could be an indication of tooth decay, gingivitis, salivary gland problems or even a sinus infection. Bad breath that hangs around after brushing isn’t something to be ignored!
- Your Gums Bleed While Flossing. Did you know that only 22% of people actually floss their teeth on a daily basis? Flossing is an important part of good dental health, so when you floss and your gums bleed, it’s a good sign that you aren’t flossing frequently enough, and that you’ve probably developed gingivitis or periodontal disease.
- Your Gums Bleed While Brushing. This is a sure sign of advanced gingivitis or periodontal disease. Brushing should be gentle and shouldn’t cause bleeding. If your gums are bleeding when you brush, it’s time to come to HPS Advanced Dental for a check-up. We may recommend a more substantial in-house cleaning, or recommend a different at-home routine.
- You Have Tooth Pain – Tooth pain is never good. Whether it’s caused by decay or a sensitivity issue, tooth pain shouldn’t be ignored. For most patients, tooth pain is the first indication that a cavity is forming. When left untreated, cavities can lead to larger tooth and jaw issues. If you’re experiencing tooth pain, it’s time for a visit.
- You Have Diabetes – Individuals that have diabetes should never miss a regular exam. Gum disease that is left untreated can have substantial effects on the health of individuals who have diabetes. If you have diabetes and haven’t had a checkup with us for a while, it’s time to make an appointment.
- Swollen or Puffy Gums – This is a good indication of gum disease. The most common cause of gum disease is a buildup of bacteria and plaque around the gum line. Regular visits to your dentist can remove these build-ups and keep your gums healthy.
- You Have Tartar Buildup – Just because you don’t have swollen or bleeding gums, doesn’t mean that you don’t have tartar build-up. Even our patients with great dental health routines have some tartar build-up. Getting rid of this plaque keeps your gums healthy and reduces your risk for tooth decay.
- Your Teeth Are Looking Yellow – Yellowing, especially at the gum line and in between teeth is a good indication that you have plaque build-up, and could use a professional cleaning. Since plaque leads to decay, getting rid of this yellow film will not only make your smile look great but will also reduce your risk of a cavity.
- Your Teeth Are Stained – There are lots of things that can stain your teeth. Regular check-ups and cleanings at the dentist will help reduce staining from age, food and even medications.
- You Have Chronic Health Issues – Many people are surprised to learn that the health of your mouth directly relates to your overall health. If you are suffering from chronic diseases or have ongoing health issues, start with a good cleaning and trip to the dentist. A clean, healthy mouth is a good first step to a healthy body.
Help! I Have the Signs that I Need to Visit My Local Dentist in Shelby Township Today.
If you haven’t visited HPS Advanced Dental Care for a visit, now is a great time. Even if you haven’t noticed issues with your teeth, it never hurts to have a good cleaning to keep your smile looking great. To schedule an appointment at our Shelby Twp. dental office or to learn more about our holistic practice, call us today at (248) 652-0024.